Sunday, May 18, 2008

Wow, I cannot believe that I have not sent out an update in over a month. I guess to tell you the truth, not a lot has changed. Today was a great day. Today we did not “do” church, we “DID” church. Ecclesia Clear Lake, as well as some other churches in the area did not have services today. Instead we went out to be the church to people that don’t always see the church in action. I took Hannah and Noah with me to help out with others at a mobile home that needed some repairs to minor things around the house. It was an awesome experience to see my kids helping out with fixing things. This is how the church is supposed to be; helping those in need. So often churches get in the rut of making people come in to the office and fill out forms to request service; but instead we should going out and asking them what can I do for you. How else will the world see the love of the Father unless we go and show them His love?


So, what is going on with the Brown’s?
I am still looking for work. In some ways it feels like just last week when I left D.R. Horton. Other times it feels like it’s been forever. The main question I am getting from people is, “What are you looking for?” And I answer with, “Whatever God is going to give me”. I know, it sounds a little contrived, but I am very sincere in that answer. I am seeking out every avenue of job possibilities to see where God is leading. I am looking into every field I have ever worked in and many that I haven’t. One thing that I have been talking to God with lately is whether or not He wants to go back into the ministry. I have several leads that I am looking into (see below for more info on a couple of them).
As I am writing this to you tonight, I am listening to some classic Petra (80’s Christian Rock band) and the song “I Am Available” is playing. How ironic is that? The one thing I want to be, is available to whatever God is calling me to do.

Well a couple of weeks ago, Noah, my dad, my nephew and I went camping up in “Mission Tejas”. It was real treat for just us guys to go and hang out for a couple of days. We rode bikes and went hiking and saw the house that the Rice family (as in Rice University) lived in.
Then the whole family went to the YMCA camp ground north east of Huntsville for Mothers day. We went with my sister family and two other families. We all got to do a lot of stuff from horseback riding to climbing a 60 foot “rock climb”. Of course I made it to the top and waved down at all the little ants. Then on the way down, my spotter did not have a good holed on me and I free fell about 30 feet and banged my back up pretty good. Then we all did something I’ve never done before. I shot a rifle… ok… a .22 caliber rifle. It didn’t even have any kick to it. We each got 10 rounds to shoot at a target. Michele and I both hit the target all 10 times. Michele is a pretty good shot. I have to remember not to make her mad when she’s holding a gun (that’s a joke… come on laugh).
Michele and Johnna went up to Arkansas this week to see family. Michele’s’ youngest brother is graduating from high school this week so she wanted to be there. She is having a great time seeing people that she hasn’t seen since we moved back to Texas 6 years ago.

What’s next for the Browns?
We are about to go on another camping trip this Memorial Day weekend with one of our school co-ops. There should be a lot of people there. After that, I am done camping for a while.
On Monday, May 19, Michele and I will be tele-conferencing with a Family Life Ministries for a position on their team ministering to kids in a kids home. We would love to be on staff with Family Life but it would be a hard road to start. FLM is a great ministry but it is self promoted finances. We would have to get our own backing and support. They do help to get you started but it is up to you to secure your own support. I told our pastor Loren this evening at church that that was not where I was leading but as he said, “Be careful, that might be where God is leading” (thanks Loren… I will be hitting you up if that is where God leads us). Seriously, God is in complete control and if he wants us to “drum” up our own support, He obviously knows where we are going to get the money… He does own the bank.
The other possibility we have is with a children’s home called the Boys & Girls Country. This is another Christian organization that helps kids out by giving them a better place to live. To be honest, I am really stoked about this possibility. I just received the info packet a couple of days ago and it just looks so awesome. We have already spoken with the director and she is excited about us coming up there in two weeks for a 2 day interview. Sort of a meet and greet, let’s see if you like us and we like you kind of thing. If everyone likes everyone, Michele and I would go back up there the following week for a 2 week introduction. Then we would be starting soon after. So, it could move very quickly.

As the school year comes to a close for us this year, we have decided to continue the kids’ studies over the summer. I know, I know, that sounds terrible. But we need to get them caught up in math and the only way to do that is to have them working on math a couple days a week over the summer break.

How you can pray for the Browns
First of all, I want to thank you for all of your prayers. They have been truly felt over the past 8 weeks. I do not know how I, personally, could have made it so far without your prayers. God has blessed us through your prayers and through the blessing that He continues to pour out on our family.
~ Please continue praying that I find a job.
~ Pray that Michele and Johnna come home from Arkansas safely.
~ Pray for our family that God will make us a strong witness to those He puts in our path.
~ Pray for us financially as we need to get some necessities like clothes for the kids.

One last thing
I love being able to take time to share with each of you what is going on in the BROWN FAMILY LIFE. Each one of you is special to us. We want you to know that we pray for each of you on a regular basis. I wish we could spend more time with each and every one of you. I so look forward to the day when we can all sit down together as one big family.
May Gods love be with you as you go through this journey we call life.

No comments: